We are so excited about our Adventure Race. We trust you are all getting fit and ready for the big day 7-8th September. We would like to take this opportunity to share the ethos around Adventure Racing, We have plenty of young and new entries this year, therefore we think it is important to embody the sport as it is intended.
ADVENTURE CONCEPT according to AR World Series - https://arworldseries.com/
Adventure racing is a multi-discipline endurance sport where competitors compete in teams, navigating from control/check point to control/check point in a number of disciplines.
- Disciplines can include: mountain biking, trekking, kayaking and orienteering and more.
- Teams are expected to navigate using a map and landmarks.
- Teams must be able to operate in harsh remote environments in all weather conditions.
- Teams travel throughout the night. They can decide if, when and where to rest.
- The first team to complete the whole course, with all the control/check points visited will be declared the winner.
- Teams are required to complete the entire distance together (always within hearing and visual distance of each other i.e 100m), helping and assisting each other.
- Teamwork and team dynamics are essential. A detailed understanding of your teammates and of your own capabilities is essential.
- Teams must consist of 4 members, with at least one member being of the opposite gender to qualify for any prizes unless otherwise indicated in the Event Specific Rules.
Parents of the little ones, grade 1-5, please impart this wisdom to your children. The most important part for the younger adventure racers is to enjoy being outdoors with your buddies (team), work together to make decisions, leave no one behind, be kind to each other, stop and listen and most importantly have fun!
We are thrilled! We have reached over 110 TEAMS for this year's AR. We will be distributing very important race information please ensure that you read through and understand the requirements.
WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN ON THE WEEKEND 7-8th September:
The flow of participants should be:
- 7th September:
- Register (at Yellow Sands Caravan Park – Lilyfontein main tent)14:30pm until 17:45pm.
- U13, U15 & U19 teams set up camp in demarcated areas.
- All teams except Grade1-5 go to briefing in assigned areas (Lilyfontein main tent), check your times below.
- Eat supper and then U13; U15 & U19 go back to camp to do last minute preparation for the race and get a good nights rest.
- 8th September:
- Please ensure that you are wearing your participant’s wrist band when you arrive for the start of your race.
- All teams except Grade1-5 please make sure you have a fully charged cellphone ready to be sealed for the duration of the race.
- Please park in the demarcated parking area.
Entries close on the 3 September 2018. If you have not entered now is the time! See price list below and log onto www.roag.co.za there are still a few spots left.
- Registration will be in the Lilyfontein main tent located at Yellow Sands Caravan Park and will be open from 14:30pm until 17:45pm. There will be NO registration on Saturday.
- Grade 1-3 and 4-5 teams MUST register on Friday afternoon between 14:30pm - 17:45pm. One member of the team may come and do registration for the whole team BUT they must have the original signed indemnity forms (attached) for ALL team members.
- All other teams must register as a team on Friday afternoon and must each bring an original signed indemnity form (attached).
- All U13, U15 and U19 school teams MUST bring proof of birth date (Non Lilyfontein learners only) AND original signed indemnity forms (attached) to registration.
- Transition areas for participants will be closed 15 minutes before the race starts, check times below.
- Please ensure that your bike and EVERYTHING you will need for the Adventure Race is stored in transition BEFORE it closes.
- No bicycles are allowed in the camping area after briefing.
|Corporate & Corporate Duo,||Friday 7 September||Lilyfontein main tent,
Yellow Sands Caravan park
|Corporate Crocs & Corporate Crocs Duo, u19, u15, u13 and Family/Fun Race||Friday 7 September||Lilyfontein main tent,
Yellow Sands Caravan park
|Grade 1-3||Saturday 8
|Start/Finish Line at Yellow Sands Caravan park||07:00am|
|Grade 4-5||Saturday 8 September||Start/Finish Line at Yellow Sands Caravan park||08:30am|
|Corporate Challenge & Corporate Duo||Saturday 8 September||02:00am|
|u19 and u15||Saturday 8 September||04:30am|
|Corporate Crocs & Corporate Crocs Duo||Saturday 8 September||04:45am|
|u13||Saturday 8 September||05:00am|
|Family/Fun||Saturday 8 September||05:15am|
|Grade 1-3||Saturday 8 September||07:30am|
|Grade 4-5||Saturday 8 September||09:00am|
|Corporate Challenge & Corporate Duo||Lilyfontein main tent, Yellow Sands Caravan park||16:00pm|
|u19 and u15 and u13|
|Corporate Crocs & Corporate Crocs Duo|
|Grade 1-3||Grade 1-3 Tent, Yellow Sands Caravan park
Or as soon as the last team is complete
VENUE: YELLOW SANDS CARAVAN PARK, East Coast Resorts. Please note that this venue is out of bounds for training.
- 10% discount for competitors camping!
- For camp bookings click here
- All school teams (U13, U15 & U19) AND THEIR TEAM MANAGERS are required to camp at Yellow Sands Caravan Park on Friday 7th September. The camp site will open from 14:00pm.
- There will be toilets / showers at the campsite – please bring everything else you need to be comfortable – tent, sleeping mats, sleeping bags etc.
- Only team managers for U13, U15 and U19 teams and ALL participants will be given access to camping after the briefing for safety reasons and to abide by SA Schools Adventure Racing rules.
- We ask that you have only one car per team that will stay overnight at the campsite. All non-authorised vehicles must leave the campsite before briefing at 18:00pm. No people will be allowed in and out of the campsite after 20:00pm on Friday 7th September.
FOOD / BEVERAGES:
U13, U15 and U19 teams sleeping at Yellow Sands Caravan Park must ensure that they bring a healthy, filling breakfast from home.
• Supper will be served on Friday night in the food tent from 17:00pm – 19:30pm
• Menu: Vetkoek and mince R30.00 (orders were placed online) or you can purchase on the night.
• Tea / coffee will be available at the start from 04:00am. A food tent will be available for purchasing lunch and snacks.
- No parents or team managers will be allowed access to any of the briefings or the routes.
- Once the briefing starts the race has started. Parents at this time please wave goodbye and wish your children well. You will see them again at the start to cheer them on as they embark on this adventure
- The Race Managers’ role is to ensure that the teams follow all the race rules, get safely back to the camp site and are at the start of the race on time. You are NOT allowed to advise on equipment, packing and routes. The preparation for the race is a major part of the race and should be left to the competitors.
Please respect these rules – it is essential for the smooth running and validity of the race as a qualifying race for the SA Championships. Breaking these rules can lead to disqualification of the team.
Join our facebook group to keep up to date with the latest information.
Please see attached documentation, you only need to read what is relevant to your race:
The Lilyfontein Adventure Team